UNHCR Vacancy Notice: PROTECTION ASSISTANT
UNHCR is seeking a highly motivated, dynamic person with excellent communication skills to work in its Protection Unit. Broad understanding of the refugee and IDP context in Azerbaijan is an asset, as well as knowledge of the UN system and NGO sector.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists Protection Officers to conduct training for Government officials and civil society on Refugees and IDPs protection; liaises with other stakeholders in the organization of training events;
- Liaises with government partners, in particular with SMS and State Committee on various issues covering refugees and IDPs;
- conducts RSD interviews within the monitoring of the RSD asylum cases and recommends decision;
- Acts as a Reviewing Officer for RSD assessments by his peers
- Assists the Protection Officers on detention cases, including cases of detention in border areas. Conducts regular border monitoring (field) missions;
- Focal point on IDP related legal matters. Participates in the filed missions (IDP) with the request of Representative;
- Arranges for translation, publication and dissemination of a number of UNHCR protection materials;
- Regular monitoring & supervision of the legal partner through regular meetings, studying monthly reports & providing recommendations;
- Performs other duties as required;
- University degree in Law, International Relations or political sciences
- A minimum of 5 years relevant professional experience
- Excellent command of both English and Azeri languages (written/oral)
- First-rate analytical skills
- Broad understanding of Refugee Law, as well as the refugee and IDPs context in Azerbaijan is an asset. Knowledge of the UN system and NGO sector are also desirable.
The application for above position with photo should be provided in a sealed envelop to the Administration at the UNHCR Office, 3,Azer Aliyev St., Baku.
Application should include: Motivation letter for applying for the above post, latest CV with photo and references.
Deadline for receiving applications is 07 January 2009 by 18:00.
Please don’t follow with phone calls.