“Integrated Biodiversity Management in the South Caucasus” (IBiS) PN 15.2101.2-003
Salary band 4 –
|Advisor for Geographic Information Systems, Remote Sensing and Integrated Biodiversity Management |
01.09.2017 – 30.11.2018, possibility to extend for one more year
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development-policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in partner countries. In Azerbaijan the GIZ-Programme “Integrated Biodiversity Management in the South Caucasus” aims at a more sustainable use of biodiversity and ecosystem services. This will be achieved through several measures, including capacity development of national partners, testing instruments on local level, environmental education and public awareness campaigns.
The advisor is responsible for
- managing all results related to piloting environmental information systems and land use mapping and planning for the sustainable use of natural resources in the field of intervention “the inter-sectoral management of biodiversity and ecosystem services, based on robust data, is improved” in accordance with project goals and activities agreed with the partner, team agreements and/or agreements with the superior;
- assisting programme initiatives to provide professional advisory services to and cooperate with a broad range of target groups;
- innovation and knowledge management.
The advisor performs the following tasks:
- Advising the partner institution(s)
- supports the development, maintenance and analysis of geodata related to all program activities using Geographic Information Systems and remote sensing technologies;
- provides expert advice and services for users of GIS systems;
- consults with external experts and partners to access censuses, fieldwork, satellite and aerial imagery, and maps;
- provides expert advice and services for partners on the development of environmental information systems and geodatabases;
- compiles data for statistics to incorporate into documents and reports;
- maintains capacity development of partners regarding Geographic Information Systems;
- monitors the development and implementation of programme plans and activities in close consultation with partners, identifies bottlenecks and recommends alternative management options to the programme manager;
- produces GIS technical documents like proposals and presentations for stakeholders;
- uses GIZ’s Capacity WORKS to support the management of his/her area of responsibility;
- participates in identifying needs for external support and advice, works on policy recommendations and develops a strategic approach in close cooperation with partners;
- contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint programme activities and work at the regional level;
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected to the programme’s activity;
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives;
- reviews reports and documents on the progress of joint programmes.
- Networking and cooperation
- supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships;
- communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing of ideas and information for the benefit of the programme;
- travels to Ismayilli district and to Georgia regularly, in accordance with project requirements;
- contributes to the joint public relation works (together with partners).
- Knowledge management
- ensures knowledge transfer to programme information;
- actively contributes to selected technical working groups of the overall programme related to his/her work;
- provides technical back-stopping to other experts in the team;
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures in close cooperation with partners;
- draws up reports and presentation documents;
- prepares appropriate input for various programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to other reports required by the programme manager, GIZ Head Office and donors;
- assists with research activities and studies on political issues which benefit joint programmes.
- Coordination tasks
- contributes to general project planning and develops concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation;
- coordinates relevant project activities at local level in consultation with the programme manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects;
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments;
- handles order management on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting).
- Other duties/additional tasks
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of the programme management.
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- university degree in a relevant subject (e.g. GIS, remote sensing, forestry, agriculture, natural resource management, geography)
- and /or additional training in a relevant subject (e.g. forestry, agriculture, natural resource management, geographic information systems, remote sensing)
- at least 3 years’ professional experience in a comparable position
- working experience with international development cooperation
Other knowledge, additional competences
- knowledge and experiences in using Geographic Information Systems and remote sensing technologies
- very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, e-mail, internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, GIS software)
- very good (academic) Azerbaijani skills in writing and speaking, fluent English skills in writing and speaking; knowledge of Russian or German are of advantage
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
Qualified candidates are kindly asked to send their applications by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the name of the position (Advisor for Geographic Information Systems) you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Application deadline: 15.08.2017
Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the further stages of the recruitment process.