“Integrated Biodiversity Management, South Caucasus” (IBiS) PN 15.2101.2-003
Salary band 4 –
|Advisor for Integrated Land Use Management |
01.09.2017 – 30.11.2018, possibility to extend for one more year
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development-policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in partner countries. In Azerbaijan the GIZ-Programme “Integrated Biodiversity Management in the South Caucasus” aims at a more sustainable use of biodiversity and ecosystem services. This will be achieved through several measures, including capacity development of national partners, testing instruments on local level, environmental education and public awareness campaigns.
The advisor is responsible for
- managing all results related to implementing integrated land use management measures in the field of intervention A “Coordination processes demonstrating a successful sectorial and vertical integration of the management of biodiversity and ecosystem services are introduced at local level” in accordance with the order and project goals and activities agreed with the partner, team agreements and/or agreements with the superior;
- planning and monitoring of expenditures related to his work in field of intervention A;
- planning and supervision of erosion control measures in the pilot district;
- supervision of orchard management in the pilot district;
- innovation and knowledge management and communication of innovations to a broad target group;
- capacity development for integrated land use management;
- upscaling of the integrated land use management concept;
- technical guidance and supervision of experts related to his work in the field of intervention A;
- assisting programme initiatives to provide professional advisory services to and cooperate with a broad range of target groups;
The advisor performs the following tasks:
- Advising the partner institution(s)
- supports the development of integrated land use management concepts in pilot areas;
- plans and supervises the development and implementation of erosion control activities in the pilot district in close consultation with partners on local as well as on national level;
- implements orchard management, beekeeping, hazelnut plantation and other elements of integrated land use management in close cooperation with partners;
- prepares and implements the coordination process with partners, joint programme activities and work in the regions;
- identifies capacity development needs of partners and organizes measures accordingly;
- formulates job descriptions and terms of reference and selects and supervises third parties in the course of carrying out project/programme activities, including performance evaluation;
- uses GIZ’s Capacity WORKS to support the management of his/her area of responsibility;
- participates in identifying needs for external support and advice, works on policy recommendations and develops a strategic approach in close cooperation with partners;
- monitors the development and implementation of programme plans and activities in close consultation with partners, and coordinates closely with the programme specialist for Results-based Monitoring (RBM);
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with the programme’s area of activity;
- Networking and cooperation
- ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships especially with the administration of the pilot district and municipalities;
- communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing of ideas and information for the benefit of the programme;
- travels to Ismayilli district and to Georgia regularly, in accordance with project requirements;
- is responsible for accompanying information visits abroad;
- represents the programme at workshops, seminars and conferences in Azerbaijan , as well – if required – abroad;
- contributes to the joint public relation works (together with partners).
- Knowledge management
- ensures knowledge transfer to programme information;
- actively contributes to selected technical working groups of the overall programme related to his/her work;
- provides technical back-stopping to other experts in the team;
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures in close cooperation with partners;
- draws up reports and presentation documents;
- prepares appropriate input for various programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to other reports required by the programme manager, GIZ Head Office and donors;
- assists with research activities and studies on political issues which benefit joint programmes.
- Coordination tasks
- Contributes to general project planning and develops concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation;
- coordinates relevant project activities at local level in consultation with the programme manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects;
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments;
- handles order management on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting).
- Other duties/additional tasks
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of the programme management.
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- university degree in a relevant subject (e.g. forestry, agriculture, natural resources management);
- and /or additional training in a relevant subject (e.g. forestry, agriculture, natural resources management)-
- At least 3 years’ professional experience in a comparable position;
- working experience with international development cooperation.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, email, internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office);
- very good Azerbaijani skills in writing and speaking, fluent English skills in writing and speaking; knowledge of Russian or German are of advantage;
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Qualified candidates are kindly asked to send their applications by e-mail to: email@example.com
Please indicate the name of the position (Advisor for Integrated Land Use Management) you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Application deadline: 15.08.2017
Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the further stages of the recruitment process.